Qualms about war
He had no qualms about signing up.
After all, wasn’t war about heroes and doing right?
Many of his friends had already gone,
Eager to prove themselves and show they could fight.
He wanted to be a pilot, a hotshot ace,
Swooping down to save his fellow soldiers,
A hero from outer space.
The recruiter had told him many lies,
About the country he could save,
But he discovered there was another story,
And it haunted him to his grave.
Given an assignment to attack the enemy,
Flying high, flying low, over the jungles he flew.
Below him in a lonesome valley,
Was a village he loved and knew.
Before he went he asked a question,
Although he knew he had a duty to fill,
“Was this village the saints or sinners”,
But he should have no qualms to kill.
After the war he went back,
Hoping to make amends,
But peace was still uneasy,
Bullets don’t make good friends.
The body count made him a hero,
But his dreams kept him awake.
And one beautiful day in October,
He chose his life to take.
May 16, 2017
- HERE TODAY, GONE TOMOROW danroberson.wordpress.com/2017/05/25/her…Share these stories and make comments. 2 days ago
- TOMORROW IS THE BEST DAY danroberson.wordpress.com/2017/05/24/tom…Share these stories and make comments. 2 days ago
- catapult danroberson.wordpress.com/2017/05/24/cat…Share these stories and make comments. 3 days ago
- ADRIFT danroberson.wordpress.com/2017/05/23/adr…Share these stories and make comments. 4 days ago
- UNMOORED danroberson.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/unm…Share these stories and make comments. 5 days ago
Choppin’ Cotton and Runaway Truck
Blogs I Follow
- The Naga
- Doggies that take Selfies
- Frank Solanki
- Virginia Duran Blog
- Blogs about Food
- COMPELLING STORIES ON THE GO
- Sassy Housewife
- Grandma Simpson's Kitchen in Roby Texas
- Lisa Ellis Williams
- Jennica Carmona
- Cindy Holman
- The Daily Post
- 26,753 hits
Copyrightdanroberson, poetsenvy, and savings2envy, 2009-2020 Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from the author and/or owner of these blogs is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Dan Roberson and danroberson,poetsenvy, and savings2envy with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.